History of Tarrys Hall

The story of Tarrys Hall and property.

The property where the present Tarrys Hall is located belonged to the Christian Community of Universal Brotherhood (CCUB), a Doukhobor organization that was incorporated in 1917 with the head office in Verigin, Sask. In 1931, the office was moved to Brilliant, B. C.

In the late 1920s the residents of Thrums, Tarrys and Glade Central communities were involved in clearing the property using horses to pull the stumps. The women were involved in burning branches and picking rocks. After the clearing, on the current ball field site, a two room hall was built for meetings, Sunday Schools, and Doukhobor community events. A horse shelter was built behind the hall. The concrete walls are still visible today on which the mural of the Spirit Horses is painted.

History

Royal BC Museum and Archives collections. Item C-01413 Peace Day celebration at Thrums, B.C.

In 1937 the CCUB went into bankruptcy. In July 1938 this hall was set on fire as a result of arson due to the unrest among the different factions of the community, a turbulent time in Doukhobor history.

After the fire, Peter P. Verigin, Chistyakov, the leader of the Doukhobor community, appointed three directors to be in charge of the property for the community. They were Pete Abrosimoff, a local storekeeper, Koozma Ostoforoff, a farmer and former CCUB member, and William Postnikoff.

To the mid 1960s, this area had no community hall. Sunday Schools and community meetings were held in other available vacant buildings and in the old school house adjacent to the Tarrys Hall property on the grounds of the former Tarrys Elementary School.

History

Kootenay Columbia Educational Heritage Society

On April 2, 1963, Kalesnikoff Lumber Co. started construction of Tarrys Hall by digging the basement on the present site. On April 13th the footings were built and on April 19th the footings were poured. Between the 19th and 26th of May the basement forms were built. On May 26th, 45 volunteers hand mixed the concrete for the basement walls. In early Nov. 1964, the beams were built with lumber purchased in Grand Forks.

Construction of the beams took place in Pete Konkin’s barn. On Nov. 23rd 1964, the beams were sanded and finished, on the 29th they were put up and covered with plastic. On Dec. 13th, 1964, the roof was built.

In 1965, Tarrys hall was officially in operation. Besides Mr. Ralph Chalmers, a local resident, all of the construction was by Doukhobor volunteer laborers and financed by local donations.

History

In 1967 the completion of the hall was deemed a Centennial of Confederation Commemoration (1867 - 1967) project with a community banquet celebration.

History
History
History
History

The title certificates to the building and two parcels of land, which included the ball field, were held by five trustees.

On July 5, 2006 the Tarrys and District Community Hall Society was incorporated under the British Columbia Society Act. The affairs of the Society are managed by a Board of Directors which presently consists of seven members.

On August 31, 2007, the Tarrys and District Community Hall Society was registered as a charity as it benefits the community by providing and maintaining a facility for use by the public. Therefore, tax-deductible receipts can be issued for donations to the Society.

On February 21, 2008, the State of Title Certificate officially transferred the properties to the Tarrys and District Community Hall Society.

Over the years, the interior of the hall has been upgraded and modernized.

In the summer of 2024, Canadian Mural artist, Tyler Toews, brought the historic stable wall remnant back to life and anyone driving on Highway 3A towards Nelson cannot help but notice his “eye-popping” mural. This project was funded by a Regional District of Central Kootenay Area I grant.

History

The horses are running again on the grounds of the Tarrys Community Hall